Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa
The Tier 1 Exceptional Visas are for individuals who have been endorsed by a recognised UK body.
Awards and Accreditations
This route is for exceptionally talented individuals wishing to work in the UK who have received endorsement in their field of excellence – science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology, arts or fashion design. You can apply as someone who has already been recognized as a leader in your field (exceptional talent) or as an emerging leader (exceptional promise).
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Process
The application has two stages:
- An application for an endorsement by a relevant institution; and
- An application for entry clearance or leave to remain to the Home Office (which must be applied for within 3 months of the endorsement being granted)
The Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa is generally applied for outside the UK. If you are inside the UK and have valid leave to remain as a Tier 2 or Tier 5 work permit holder, then you have the right to switch to Exceptional Talent category providing you meet the requirements.
There are no English language or maintenance requirements for initial application under this category. Your qualifying dependents (spouse, partner or children under the age of 18), can also apply to accompany or join you in the UK.
Annual Quota for Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Applications
The UK government has limited the number of applications that can be made under Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent). Every initial application must be endorsed by a ‘designated competent body’. There is a limit of 2,000 endorsements each year between 6 April and 5 April. Each of the designated endorsing bodies are assigned a quota of the 2,000 endorsements.
The role of the designated institution is to vouch to the Home Office that in their opinion that an individual is exceptionally talented. There is no single definition of “exceptional talent” and each designated institution set its own criteria to select those who will qualify for endorsement as well as sets out its procedures for receiving and processing requests for endorsements. At present there are six designated institutions:
- Arts Council England – for arts and culture applications
- The British Academy – for humanities and social science applications
- The Royal Society – for natural sciences and medical science research applications
- The Royal Academy of Engineering – for engineering applications
- Tech City UK – for digital technology sector applications
- Fashion Council – for fashion designers.
Duration of visa and settlement
You can make an application for settlement once you have been in the United Kingdom continuously for 3 years 4 months under the exceptional talent criteria. If the visa is granted under the exceptional promise criteria you will be entitled to apply for settlement after 5 years and 4 months.
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Extension Application
To extend your Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa you need to fulfill the following two criteria:
- The designated institution which originally endorsed your stage 1 application has not withdrawn their endorsement; and
- During your period of leave as a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) migrant, you have received remuneration in the UK in your field of expertise.
Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Services
We can advise and assist with all stages of the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent process – applying for endorsement, filing application for entry clearance, extension applications and applications for indefinite leave to remain.
We will advise you regarding the application procedure, documentary requirements and your legal merits/prospects of success at each stage. We will submit persuasive legal submissions in support of your application and will ensure that your supporting evidence is in the format required by UKVI.
If your application for a Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa has been refused, we can assist with an application for administrative review.
For further information and advice please schedule a consultation.