Marriage Visitor Visa

Marriage Visitor Visa

A UK Marriage Visitor Visa will enable you to get married in the UK but you cannot switch status.

Awards and Accreditations

The Marriage Visitor visa is designed for non-EEA nationals over the age of 18 who wish to visit the UK to marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of a marriage or civil partnership, in the UK.

On arrival in the UK, all visitors (including non-visa nationals) coming to marry or form a civil partnership, or give notice of this, in the UK must have a valid visit visa endorsed with this purpose and the name of the holder’s fiance(e) or proposed civil partner.

What are the main eligibility requirements for a Marriage Visitor visa?

In order to be granted a Marriage Visitor visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that you are a genuine visitor. This means that you are:

  • Over 18 years old;
  • Going to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • Visiting the UK for less than 6 months;
  • In a genuine relationship;
  • Free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival;
  • Genuinely seeking entry for a purpose that is permitted by the visitor routes and will not undertake any prohibited activities;
  • Able to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that you can be supported and housed by relatives or friends;
  • Able to meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
  • Not in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

What else do I need to know about the Marriage Visitor visa?

Applications for Marriage Visitor visas should be made not more than 3 months before you intend to travel.

Your Marriage Visitor visa will be valid for 6 months and you can use this visa to marry or enter into a civil partnership within the UK.

As a Marriage Visitor visa holder you will not be permitted to:

  • Receive public funds;
  • Bring in family members (‘dependants’) – they must apply separately;
  • Live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits or make the UK your main home;
  • Extend your visa or switch to another visa;
  • Work – except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, eg attending meetings; or
  • Study for more than 30 days – studying cannot be the main reason for your visit.

How our immigration lawyers can help

Our immigration lawyers are experienced in assisting with all types of visit visa applications.

Whether you are considering applying for a Marriage Visitor visa or require advice as to the most appropriate visit visa, our lawyers will guide you through the complex Home Office rules and policies.

We pride ourselves on being approachable and proactive in understanding and meeting our clients’ needs. We are a highly driven team, dedicated to providing clear and reliable immigration advice to our clients as part of a professional and friendly service.

For further information, please schedule a consultation.

Contact Us

UK Legal Advice