Indefinite Leave to Remain
Indefinite Leave to Remain is the culmination of years of hard work. Let us prepare the best possible application.
Awards and Accreditations
Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) is the long-term goal of many migrants who come to the UK. Britain offers a wealth of opportunities, in terms of career, culture, and family life. And it is only natural that having invested five or more years in the UK, you and your family will want to make it your permanent home.
Unfortunately, the British government has sought to make it increasingly difficult for migrants to obtain ILR by constantly changing the immigration rules. It has become increasingly challenging for those who dream of permanent residence in the UK to achieve it.
Sterling Immigration’s legal team have a deep understanding of the ILR requirements for each immigration category and achieve an incredibly high success rate for our clients. Our team of experts in UK immigration law understand the importance of the process on a personal and professional level. By instructing us, you can be confident that your application will be managed with high professionalism and care. We understand the importance of securing ILR on a personal and professional level.
Eligibility Requirements for ILR
There are various paths under which you may qualify for ILR. This is most commonly where you are in the UK as a spouse/partner, dependent child, a worker, entrepreneur, investor or you have 10 years’ lawful residence. You do not automatically qualify for ILR on completion of your continuous period of lawful residence in the UK. You will also need to submit evidence of your eligibility for ILR, such as:
- Continuous lawful residence in the UK for the required qualify period,
- Absences from the UK not exceeding 180 days in any 12 months of the qualifying period,
- Evidence you have passed a Life in the UK Test,
- Evidence of your ability to speak English to the required standard,
- Meet minimum income, investment or job creation requirements (Points-Based Applicants), and
- Evidence that your application meets the General Grounds for Refusal – for example, addressing if you have any criminal convictions or breaches of your immigration status.
It is important to note that ILR status can be revoked if you live outside the UK for more than two years.
It is important that you meet the immigration rules that govern applying for ILR in your particular immigration category and that all supporting evidence is in the specified format. Common reasons for refusal include:
- Incorrect or insufficient documentation; or
- Incorrect or incomplete application;
- Failure to meet the requirements of the immigration rules;
- Historical mistakes on tax forms; and
- Failure to provide additional documents or information within a certain period of time, if you are requested by the UK Visas and Immigration to do so.
ILR refusals can be devastating for you and your family. Your life will be put on hold and you will have a significant period of stress and uncertainty. Our expert team can move swiftly to advise you on your options to challenge to the refusal. Depending on the immigration category you applied under we can:
- File an appeal against the decision;
- Lodge an Administrative Review; and
- Submit a fresh ILR application;
We will advise you on the best steps to take based on your circumstances.
What if I do not qualify for ILR yet?
If you do not qualify for ILR, you may have the option of extending your current visa. This is known as Further Leave to Remain (FLR). You must apply for FLR before your existing visa expires to avoid any risk of enforced removal.
Sterling Immigration’s expert team will work closely with you to make certain you meet the strict requirements as well as supporting you to collect all the required documentation and evidence. Should we identify any weaknesses in your case we will ensure that this is addressed in our detailed legal submissions. This will greatly enhance your chance of having your ILR application approved.
Our experienced team have successfully helped many grateful clients navigate through the complex ILR process. From the initial consultation until you receive the decision on indefinite leave to remain application, we are ready to help and make the process positive and stress-free.
For further information, please schedule a consultation.