Civil Partner Visa

Civil Partner Visa

A UK Civil Partner Visa requires you to meet detailed rules relating to income and accommodation and demonstrating your relationship is genuine.

Awards and Accreditations

What are the main eligibility requirements for a Civil Partner visa?

In order to qualify for a Civil Partner visa you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • Your partner is British or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain;
  • You are both over the age of 18;
  • You are in a civil partnership;
  • Your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently;
  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently;
  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds;
  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;
  • You speak and understand English to the required level.

The Sponsor must demonstrate that they have a gross annual income of at least £18,600. 

You can meet this requirement through salaried and non-salaried income, self-employed income, salary and/or dividends from a company of which you are a Director, property rental income, dividends and income from investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds, pension income, insurance payments, maintenance payments and cash savings above £16,000 that have been held for at least six months, unless you can demonstrate that they have come from the sale of property or investments within the last 6 months.

In some circumstances it is possible to rely on a combination of the above sources of income to satisfy the financial requirement. Different considerations will apply if your Civil Partner is in receipt of certain benefits.

You will also need to demonstrate that there is adequate accommodation available to you for the duration of your stay in the UK. We will arrange for a qualified surveyor with specialist knowledge and skills to attend your property to assess and produce a comprehensive accommodation report that will be submitted in support of your application.

What else do I need to know about the Civil Partner visa?

If your application is successful, your Civil Partner visa will be valid for 33 months initially. If you apply for leave to remain in the UK as a Civil Partner then you will be granted leave valid for 30 months.

You will need to apply to UK Visas & Immigration for an extension of stay extend your stay before your initial visa expires. After spending 5 years in the UK as the holder of a Civil Partner Visa, you will be eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Civil Partner visa holders have a full right to work and study in the UK.

If you are not able to satisfy certain of the requirements for a Civil Partner visa, you may still be able to apply to join or remain with your partner on Human Rights grounds if you can demonstrate that there would be very significant difficulties in your relationship continuing outside the UK.

How our immigration lawyers can help

Our immigration lawyers regularly assist foreign national Civil Partners to relocate to, and settle in, the UK.

Whether you require expert advice on the requirements of the Immigration Rules, an independent assessment of your prospects of qualifying for a visa or professional assistance with preparing an immigration application, our immigration lawyers can help.

The financial requirement rules are particularly complex and include mandatory requirements in terms of the documentary evidence that must be provided to UK Visas and Immigration in order to demonstrate access to the relevant funds. Failure to provide evidence in the format required by Appendix FM will result in your application being refused. Our immigration lawyers specialise in assisting applicants with complicated financial circumstances to secure successful outcomes in their civil partner visa applications.

For further information, please schedule a consultation.

Contact Us

UK Legal Advice