Adult Dependent Relative Visa

Adult Dependent Relative Visa

Adult Dependent Relative Visas are difficult to secure with numerous restrictive rules.

Awards and Accreditations

The Adult Dependent Relative visa category is for non-EEA adult dependent relatives of British citizens in the UK, persons settled in the UK, or persons in the UK with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status, who wish to settle here.

What are the main eligibility requirements for an Adult Dependent Relative visa?

In order to qualify for an Adult Dependent Relative visa you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

  • You are the parent aged 18 years or over, grandparent, brother or sister aged 18 years or over or son or daughter aged 18 years or over of a person who is in the UK and that person is over 18 and either a British citizen, settled in the UK or a person with refugee leave or humanitarian protection status;
  • As a result of age, illness or disability, you require long-term personal care (that is help performing everyday tasks, e.g. washing, dressing and cooking);
  • You are unable, even with the practical and financial help of your family member in the UK, to obtain the required level of care in the country where you are living because it is not available and there is no person (close relative, home-help, housekeeper, nurse, carer, care or nursing home) in your country who can reasonably provide it, or because it is not affordable;
  • You will be adequately maintained, accommodated and cared for in the UK by your family member, without recourse to public funds (if your family member is a British citizen or settled in the UK, they will be required to sign a 5-year undertaking to this effect).

What else do I need to know about the Adult Dependent Relative visa?

The Adult Dependent Relative visa route is only available to applicants outside the UK. It is not possible to switch into this route from within the UK.

Even if the person applying for an Adult Dependent Relative visa does experience the high level of ill health required by the second criterion, the third criterion is even harder to meet. Most sponsors who are able to afford to maintain and accommodate their dependent relative for five years will find it hard to prove that they cannot afford to provide care for that relative in their country of origin.

If you are granted an Adult Dependent Relative visa then you will be permitted to enter, and remain in the UK, indefinitely.

The circumstances in which an adult dependent relative of a British citizen or person settled in the UK may qualify to settle permanently in the UK are limited. Non-EEA national family members and extended family members of EEA nationals who are exercising Treaty rights in the United Kingdom enjoy more generous provisions under the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2016. In certain circumstances, British citizens may also be able to bring their adult dependent relatives to the UK by relying on these provisions.

How our immigration lawyers can help

Our immigration lawyers regularly advise and assist Adult Dependent Relatives to relocate to, and settle in the UK, with their family members.

Whether you require expert advice on the requirements of the Immigration Rules, an independent assessment of your prospects of qualifying for a visa or professional assistance with preparing an immigration application, our immigration lawyers can help.

We will guide you expertly through the copious requirements of the UKVI rules and policy guidance.

For further information, please schedule a consultation.

Contact Us

UK Legal Advice